Tomato and Basil Risotto
Follow us vegans_power for Daily vegan recipes!
🍅 So comforting! ❤️ Get the recipe:
TOMATO AND BASIL RISOTTO
Good for 2-3 servings
3 1/2 cups vegetable stock, or more depending on desired doneness
3/4 cup uncooked arborio rice (this is essential)
1/4 cup chopped red or white onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup dry white wine (optional but highly recommended!)
1 cup chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped sundried tomatoes**
1 tbsp basil, chopped
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp salt, or to taste*
Extra basil, for topping
*The seasoning of your risotto will depend greatly on your stock. If your stock is well seasoned, you’ll need to add minimal salt to the risotto
**The sundried tomatoes I used were those bottled and soaked in oil. Feel free to use dried ones.
1. Prepare your stock. I simply boiled around 4 cups of water then added in a cube of vegetable stock. You can opt to make your own stock by boiling leeks, celery, carrots, and onions with a generous amount of salt for 3 hours.
2. In a large pan/pot, heat the olive oil. Add in the onions and garlic. Sauté until tender and aromatic.
3. Once cooked, add in the chopped tomatoes. Sauté for 2 minutes. Add in the arborio rice. Coat in the oil-tomato mixture well.
4. Pour in the white wine. Mix until it has been absorbed (the rice will turn a bit creamy). 5. Pour in 1 cup of the stock to the rice. Add in the tomato paste, basil, and sun dried tomatoes.
6. On medium heat, continue to mix frequently until the rice absorbs the stock. Keep stirring until the rice absorbs the liquid.
7. Add another 1/2 cup of the stock. Mix frequently until it is absorbed. Repeat this step every 5 mins or so.
8. After 25-30 mins or so, rice should be perfectly cooked and still chewy. Season with salt as needed.
9. If the risotto is a bit dry, feel free to add in 1/4 cup of stock and mix well.
10. Serve and enjoy immediately!